Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Today I awoke to one of my Banggai fish - the male- very stressed out, his dorsal fin shredded. He was darker in color and had labored breathing. I am not sure what caused this, other than (possibly) getting caught near the intake of a new filter I had placed in the tank the night before.
It is very odd, as the intake is not strong at all- and they normally sleep 'under' the rocks... so not sure what happened, but I found him all the way on the other side of the tank, resting on a bed of macroalgae. The female was on the opposite side of the tank, near the rockwork. The few people I shared this with all agree: it couldn't have been the female, so the only other option is the filter.
 I am so sad about this, (for fish lovers- you will understand) as I am positive he was holding. And after discussing with another hobbyist - I was expecting the eggs to hatch within the next 2-3 weeks.
Sadly- I came home this evening to find he did not recover.
Now I am contemplating on whether or not to introduce a new male to my existing female, in 'hopes' they accept each other. . . or just move her to my display tank, and seek a new pair to breed in hopes of establishing a healthy tank raised family of Banggai's?
I do not want to take the chance of having a new addition attack the female that I have... but I do not want to keep her lonely either. So, I am going to be posing the question on my forums, and see the best option for an easy transition of adding a new mate.
*** more to come on my Banggai....... :( it breaks my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment